Monday, March 27, 2006

What happens at Church Camp, Stays at Church Camp

Well, we made it back from camp and boy (I mean girl) what weekend. Between the nice calm small group sessions and teaching there was pranking going on galore and a Saturday night slumber party that bridged the generation gap like the Bridge over the River Kwai (don't even ask about the metaphor, I've no clue). I will never look at some of our older matrons the same way again!

It all started when the preacher, Jennifer Pasco, borrowed an old bell from 80 year old Dorothy Padgett. She would ring the bell when a session was starting, or when we needed to be somewhere. Well, that soon lost any appeal that it once had. So there were some among us that decided to steal it. And though I don't wan't to mention any names, there were some of them very close to my heart, (Barbara Ann Olson). Not only did they steal the bell, they stole Jennifer's slippers, her clock, her flashlight and short sheeted her bed. My mother stood there through the whole thing!!! Shame Shame!!!

And then they snuck into my cabin to figure out what to do with the stolen ding a ling. Now there was among us a well-known prankster who always manages to do something to someone whose name is Annette Bellis. I casually brought up the coincidental fact that Bellis has the word bell in it. They ran with it. My seed was planted and flourished. In the end a picture of a bell was drawn with a crack in it and a blindfold on it (This was drawn by a 72 year old in our cabin) Around it was written "The Bell-is gone. To catch it you need An Net" Then they gave the bell back to Dorothy Padgett (remember the 80 year old) to hide.

Annette, a good friend of mine, came up to me the next day and asked me whose idea it was to implicate her. I very truthfully said, "Well Missy Greer brought the bell in and told them what to write" Conveniently omitting the fact that I had brought her name up in the first place. She decided to get even. And the next night consisted of us sneaking away from the party with 12 rolls of toilet paper and heading toward Missy and Dorothy's cabin. There were a few rubber snakes, a few fake spiders and one whoopie cushion involved. The next morning blame fell on to Jennifer and then on Annette. BTW - For those of you wondering, it did not give 80 year old Dot a heart attack. She was the one that discovered our prank and shouted "Girls, they've TP'd us"

I, who was involved with both pranks, was never suspected. I am the Queen! Long may I live!!!

Oh, and there was some spiritual stuff too.

And our cabin was voted the most musical. We had in our midst (7 of us) 2 snorers, 1 who sang and talked in her sleep (me) and then a woman with sleep apnea who slept with an oxygen machine. It was really quite melodious. We drove one of our roomies into the shower with her sleeping bag. She slept there all night.

It was a truly Godly experience.

1 comment:

Tim D. said...

What happened to the names will be changed to protect the innocent - oh yeah - looks like there weren't many innocents involved.

I guess it's to be expected from a METHODIST camp!