Friday, April 28, 2006

Melissa does her Civic Duty

I'm writing this blog so that if something happens to me (something horribly violent) I wanted everyone to know the back story. You see, last night I was sitting outside with Cassie and 3 of her neighborhood buddies when this El Camino tears past at about 60 miles an hour! Keep in mind this is a road that is usually full of bike riding children and pedestrians. It infuriated me. But then about 5 minutes later he came back (just as fast) going the other way. And I says to myself, "Self", I says, "Someone should really let the police know about this maniac. Especially with all the children that play through here!" So I called. But really, what did I have to go on. It was a two toned, El Camino (Unique, true, but hardly a real help) and it had a black male driver. So I just made a report over the phone. I kept hearing the race car wannabe zooming around the block and Tim actually was driving on the same road with him and he said he couldn't begin to keep up.

Well, today, I saw the car again at an address just down the street from me so I got his license plate number and made a detour to the police station. The reason: How can I complain about people who won't press charges or say anything because it is too much trouble if I won't get off my duff and do something? So I did. No, duff sitter, I! I filed a complaint and the driver got a reckless driving ticket. They say I might have to go to court. Was it worth it? I don't know. But how horrible would I feel if that guy hit someone tomorrow because I didn't say anything?

Of course, the police around here are pretty lax in their duties. They have decided that if the gas prices are too high, they don't really have to answer all the calls in town if they don't wanna. Or, maybe that is the sheriff's dept. Oh, well, either way, the law here in Dodge is not exactly top line. Of course, it could be that my grandfather, the former police chief, did not care for the current police chief. Any who, it would not surprise me if this guy was best friends with one of "Wagoner's Finest" and they had a good laugh over the whole ordeal. Or maybe, the guy has mafia connections and he is going to wire dynamite to my car when he finds out I "squealed like a stuck pig". Lord, I've been reading too much Stephen King . . .

So, let me know what you guys think. Would you have said something?

No comments: