Monday, April 03, 2006

Review: Ice Age 2: The Meltdown

If anyone ever doubts the power of kiddom, just remember that this piece of animation fluff brought in 70.5 million dollars over opening weekend. 70.5 million??!!! Of course, part of that money was mine but I do have a 10 year old. We went to the drive-in to see it. Which in itself posed a problem. They play the sound over the fm radio and our boombox got every station on the planet but that one!!!! We had to open the car door (I mean who sits IN the car at the drive in?) and play it via the Honda for 2 hours.

Anyway, the story picks up where the last left off and we see that the ice is starting to melt. The animals must make it to a large log, that kinda looks like a boat, before the valley floods. Along the way, Manny, the mammoth, has began to believe that he is the last of his species and is trying to find himself. This is the serious story line in this one.

There are some pretty funny scenes like the one where Sid the Sloth aka the Fire King is being worshipped by mini sloths. But there is a lot of dead space where I think they were trying to get across something meaningful that I just didn't get! Don't get me wrong, the kids will love it! There are enough site gags to warrant that. But as the adult mind goes (I guess I have one of those) it is just not as good as the first movie.

Rating: 5 out of 10 bananas
Best Part: Can you say a mammoth who thinks she's a possum? I knew you could.
Worst Part: Skrit finally meets his maker . . . and Sid ruins it!

No comments: